Montréal Exchange has enabled Québec’s metropolis to benefit from a significant presence on the derivatives market, and Finance Montréal intends to maintain and increase Montréal’s leadership in offsetting derivatives. The Derivatives work group has the three following objectives:
- Increase the exchange volume of products traded in Montréal, either by increasing the volume of existing products or by creating new ones (e.g. derivatives on energy or environment).
- Increase knowledge on derivatives as a risk management tool through the implementation and marketing of training programs focused on users’ needs.
- Support the improvement of the regulatory framework for derivatives and financial services, so risks are efficiently managed.
While keeping a close eye on the derivatives market, the Derivatives work group focuses on the following:
- Setting up a contest simulating hedge fund management, to encourage student learning and sustained interest in the field
- Encouraging cooperation between the financial sector and the Montréal Institute of Structured Finance and Derivatives, to further financial innovation and training programs
- Promoting open communication channels with regulatory bodies to detect emerging risks, and recommending how to deal with them